Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Like a Flash

Oh my! The kits are changing so quickly!
In this picture they are 6 days old and the grey is darkening to black. Sonoma has been a perfect first time mother to boot. My other doe, Truly, has had a time of it. She is proving her own though. The poor girl. I have a lot to learn about rabbits. The first item on the list is that just because you don't think a breeding took, expect kits (babies). I took the young gal with me to OFFF with me which proved to be a huge mistake (although if I left her home my husband would have not had any idea what to do). Friday night she began to frantically nest and Saturday morning she delivered 5 kits. In the small traveling cage. 3 have survived. I thought I'd loose them all.
Isn't this little guy so cute! He's one of Truly's and if this silkiness means anything, his/her fiber will be just as lovely as his parents. I'm still in the deciding phase of where I want to go with my little cottage endeavor. After spending the weekend in the rabbit barn I really want to show rabbits. The problem is this: my guys are all mixed. ARBA only recognizes English, Satin, French of Giant angoras. I really love the Germans (colored...unrecognizable by IAGARB). I do like the clean furnishings of the French too. So, I'm thinking I need to obtain 1 or 2 French does and 1 French buck. I'd like to keep Pops to incorporate his incredible qualities. I had planned to sell him but when an IAGARB judge is impressed and strongly encourages me to keep a rabbit, I listen. What to do? I guess I'll just have to love on these little guys until they make their ways to new homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment