Thursday, August 12, 2010

Content

Squash flowers seem to hold a special beauty. I love the way this one looks with droplets of water still holding on after this mornings watering.
I was up before the rest of the house this morning which seems to be happening more frequently. Honestly I seem to prefer my days to start out that way. Nothing seems more peaceful to me than to start the pot of coffee and then snuggle into the rocking chair with a blanket over my lap and the Bible in my hands. Right now I'm going through Ecclesiastes and seeing it in a way that I never have. It seems to hold more conviction and questions than it has in the past. This morning Eccl. 6:9 stood out and I've spent the morning pondering it. "It is better to be content with what the eyes can see than for one's heart to always crave more. This continual longing is futile-like chasing the wind." I've wondered if this is what I do. Those who are close to the Mister and I know that we long to be back in TN. Those same people also know that we would like to have more land. We're simplistic in what we would like. We're not longing after 10 acres or a big house. I've grown quite content and thankful for the small (under 1250sq ft for the last 2) homes that we have had. I believe that when we first moved back to WA and for the following 2 years I did continually crave more. Yes, I still long for more but the attitude is different. I've always wanted more for the same reasons. To grow more of our own. To be able to raise our own meat. To be more "self" sustainable. Problem. "Self". I'm reliant on or supposed to be reliant on God. I'm God sustained. He alone has chosen to bless us with this larger city lot whether it's right where we'd truly like to be or not. While the heart would like to get out of the city, I am content with what we have. Out of contentment comes labor. I want to use what God has blessed us with. Not let it just sit. This year has seen thorn-less blackberries planted along the fence line, cleaning up of the area between the back fence and back deck which now contains beautiful flowers and herbs (a pleasant view from the kitchen window for sure), several chickens for fresh eggs (some have made their way into the freezer) and we have the addition of 4 new veggie bed's in a wasted space of the front yard. This weekend will hopefully see the area (between the last bed and the red car) for 6 raspberry plants turned over, amended and the berries planted. I truly believe that because I've become content with what my eye sees, the house and land that we do have, I have been able to see possibilities. Through our acceptance and thankfulness we have been blessed more. Come along with me as I take my usual morning path around our yard.
It may not look like much but the Mister and I are tickled (okay, maybe only females get tickled) with how it looks after only being 2 weeks old. I am amazed at the amount of people who stop and talk with me or stop during their walk/bike rides and take the garden in.
Chili rellenos anyone?
Our favorite future canned good!
I have NEVER been able to grow enough of these to last us the whole year through.
Can you spot her? I always try hard to garden organically (I gave up corn...couldn't seem to make it work without pesticides). Ne em oil has been a favorite. Earlier this week I received a rebate from Freddy's and decided to buy some lady bugs with the unexpected rebate. I am giddy beyond belief that these little girls/guys have virtually eliminated the aphids from my garden! Did you know that 1 ladybug can eat up to 80 aphids in a day? They are most welcome around our yard.

What little bugger is eating the sweet pea leaves as soon as they emerge?

Every day this sight brings the children as well as myself a bit of joy and thankfulness.

She who remains to be named

Henrietta is so called because she looks like a he to me. She and Clara are the most mild tempered, quiet birds out of the lot of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment